Reviewed and updated April 10, 2012
Yaeger CPA Review has been around for nearly 35 years, but has flown under the radar compared with behemoths like Becker or Bisk. The owner, Phil Yaeger, has been teaching CPA exam review courses for almost 4 decades. The course itself is the only “teaching” course on the market.
Yaeger teaches you what to do, how to do it and why you are doing it that way. The other courses only teach you the what and how. For those looking for a deeper understanding of the material, this is very attractive.
The Yaeger review course includes 136 hours of video on either DVD, USB or online streaming (your choice), the Wiley textbooks, Yaeger-authored handouts and the Wiley Testbank software for practice questions.
Price – $445 per part / $1,587 for all 4 parts - (using the coupon code SPRINGCLEANPART for 1 part and SPRINGCLEANFULL for all 4 parts)
1. Best Pass Rate – You have the best chance to pass the exam as Yaeger has the top pass rate of any CPA review course (88%). Passing the exam is why we all look for review courses, and Yaeger gives you the best chance to do that based on the statistics.
2. Personal Service – When you call, you get Phil Yaeger (the owner) or one of the instructors, not some customer service representative. Other courses do not allow personal access to the instructors except through email or message boards which often take a lot of time to get a response. The ability to get on the phone with Phil Yaeger or the other instructors is one of the most important advantages over the other courses.
3. Regular Updates – You get the most up-to-date information because the review videos are re-filmed in their entirety every year.
4. Unlimited Use – You can watch the videos an unlimited number of times and you do not “run out” of study questions – there is unlimited use. Other review courses limit your usage and only allow you to watch videos a certain number of times or limit your study questions.
5. Convenience – For convenience and flexibility, you have 3 study formats to choose from – online, DVD, or USB. Other review courses charge you extra for the USB option if they even offer it (many don’t even give you the option). Yaeger does not charge extra for USB.
6. Price -With the coupon code SPRINGCLEANFULL or SPRINGCLEANPART, Yaeger is the most affordable of all the top-ranked review courses. If you go for the USB option, the savings Yaeger offers is even greater because the other courses charge extra for the USB option while Yaeger does not.
7. Mobile Access – No matter which option you choose, you can access the Yaeger videos and study materials on your iPhone, iPad or other mobile device.
There are a couple of potential draw backs to be aware of.
1. No Transfer Between Formats – If you answer test questions offline, the scores to not transfer over if you answer some questions online. This results in having different scores in different places that you’ll have to combine to get a complete picture of how you’re doing.
2. Guided Self-Study Only – The review is conducted entirely through video, books, and test questions. There are no “in person” classes.
The Bottom Line
Yaeger is the only teaching course, meaning they teach you not only what to do and how to do it, but also why you are doing it that way. If knowing the “why” helps you learn and retain information better, Yaeger is the course for you.
In my opinion, Yaeger also offers the most value for your money. They have the highest pass rate and are cheaper than most of the other CPA exam review courses.
Check out this CPA exam review course comparison chart (near the bottom of the page) before you decide which course to buy.